don’t you wish yr girlfriend was vegan like me?
This past weekend, I attended a queer brunch for which I was asked to bring something vegan and/or wheat free. Now, I’m a vegetarian (10 years!), so I’m down with the dietary restrictions, though I do like to make the following joke at Thanksgiving / dinner parties: “BUT WHAT ABOUT THE WHEAT-FREE VEGANS?” Not funny? There are moments when I realize how specific of a world I live in.
Anyways, I went vegan, with one of my favorite recipes of late, and for lack of anything better to write about in the past few days, I thought I’d share it here. Enjoy!
Lil Miss’s Vegan Banana Oatmeal Nut Bread
(based heavily on this recipe, but made vegan)
5 bananas mashed
1 ¾ cups flour
1 ¼ tsp. baking powder
¾ tsp. salt
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ cup applesauce
2/3 cup sugar
2 cups oats
2 cups walnuts (set about ¼ cup aside for topping)
1 tbsp. brown sugar (or to taste)
1 tbsp. margarine (optional)
2 tsp. honey (optional)
margarine or oil to grease the pan
Process (there’s always a process, no?):
- Sift flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl, thoroughly mash bananas (sometimes I even use a hand blender). Beat in applesauce, honey and sugar until smooth.
- Combine banana and flour mixes — stir just enough so that they’re combined, but don’t overdo it.
- Add in the nuts and oatmeal. Again, don’t overdo it.
- Pour batter into greased loaf pan. Top with additional walnuts and brown sugar.
- Bake for one hour at 350 degrees.
- Loosen loaf and ease it out of the pan onto a cooling rack for a few minutes.
- Enjoy with margarine, butter, honey, or your other favorite spread!
- You can use fewer nuts and/or oats if you want, but I like my fibrous and protein heavy.
- Pay attention to tsp vs. tbsp. Last time I made this I wasn’t paying attention and accidentally used tablespoons instead of teaspoons. My bad! Seriously, it wasn’t ruined, but it was a little salty.
- Did you know you could use bananas as a substitute for eggs?
OMG! Does this make me like Julie of Julie & Julia? I sure hope my boyfriend doesn’t walk out on me for having interests of my own!